First impressions really do count when it comes to front doors so make yours amazing! You have more freedom to express yourself with your door colour, so be brave and pick a colour you wouldn’t normally choose.
1) Changing the front door colour is a quick fix and a real game changer in terms of how people perceive you and your home. If you’re feeling adventurous, go for a strong, bright colour, but choose a shade that complements your own personal style and the rest of your house.
The most popular front door colours so far for 2017 are:-
jet black, steel blue, pine green and a clean crisp white
bright yellow, cobalt blue and purple
primrose yellow, duck egg blue and light violet
2) Choose the best quality front door furniture you can afford and it can sit proudly on the door for future generations. Choosing new door hardware should be an integral part of any interior project, definitely not an afterthought.
3) Try and match the door furniture to the period of your property and the size of the door, it always looks better when it’s in keeping.
4) Think about the finish of the door furniture - some finishes are more durable than others. Powder coated black is very durable and requires minimal maintenance. Patine is a beautiful powder coated exterior finish that highlights the texture and colour of the steel. Consider our Octagonal Door Pull (below) a smart pull handle that compliments our range of hand-forged front door furniture.
As with all our wax finished hardware, it is recommended that it is polished from time to time with beeswax to prevent weathering.
Unlaquered brass is a beautiful finish for front door furniture. The brass will tarnish naturally over time to give an antique finish, however with an application of Brasso, the brass will maintain its soft shine.
If you're considering brass hardware on your newly painted front door, take a look at our Letters letter plate - a high quality solid letter plate in unlaquered polished brass, with a good sized opening flap allowing A4 envelopes, and preventing drafts
The spring-loaded flap has a textured finish and bears the inscription 'LETTERS'.
5) Lighting the exterior of your home is just as important as the lighting inside. Set a scene with lighting by layering different effects using different fittings. Striking Brass Bulk Heads either side of a door conjures a warm, welcoming effect, while a hanging lantern is practical for a porch.
The bulk head is an iconic light, and they're available in two traditional shapes - oval and round, both with a ribbed glass design - a stunning outdoor light to illuminate your home and garden.
Made of heavy gold Brass, it is weatherproof and durable and suitable for use in bathrooms.
6) Fit dimmer switches so you can subtly alter light levels. Our dimmer switches come in different finishes and are suitable for control of dimmable electronic transformers, toroidal transformers and tungsten halogen lamps.
Create another layer of light by using uplights for door surrounds, to focus on architectural features, or to light steps. All of our outdoor lights are suitable for use with dimmer switches.